Corporate venture capital units invested in almost a quarter of global VC deals in the second quarter this year.
Mark Dow on where we are in the market right now; vinicultural market analysis; Cohn for the Fed; cryptocurrency collapses; Brexit, Dimon, Macron and Piketty; bored traders on Tinder apparently a symptom of Wall St revenue dip; a course catalog for David Brook’s elite sandwich college; other stuff.
A photo and video bonanza.
- Tim Harford on the lessons of new technologies in economic history
- Retail hype vs retail facts
- Michael Mandel on the case for productivity optimism
- Is Ireland an austerity poster child or a “beautiful freak”?
- Richard Ocejo on old jobs in new urban economies
- A chat with Alice Rivlin on her career in economic policymaking
- The life and ideas of Albert O Hirschman (Part 1)
- Jason Furman on economic policymaking
- Tyler Cowen’s stubborn philosophical attachments
- Anne Case on mortality and morbidity in the 21st Century
Alphachat is hard at work preparing for its third season, which starts in just a few weeks. We’ll soon feature interviews with Michael Pettis on the economics and politics of trade rebalancing, Tim Harford on technology and the making of the modern economy, and Gabriel Zucman on tax havens and inequality. This week we are running again one of our favourite episodes from last year — a chat with Heidi Williams of MIT. Below we re-post the show notes from that episode. Enjoy!